Journalists working for The Great Outdoors magazine have suspended strike action after managers agreed to reopen talks.

Members of the National Union of Journalists working for Newsquest in Glasgow, publishers of the magazine, had walked out on Friday morning. They left the picket line to resume work after a pledge from managing director Tim Blott on talks to avoid compulsory redundancies.

The dispute, which also involved staff on The Herald, Sunday Herald and Evening Times, centres on the company’s demands for £3m-worth of cuts and the introduction of a new production system leading to fewer jobs.

The National Union of Journalists’ (NUJ) deputy general secretary John Fray said: “The stance taken by NUJ members at the Herald group has brought Newsquest back to the negotiating table. Their solidarity and the support of the wider trade union movement both here and abroad, is to be congratulated.”

Tim Blott said: “If it is established that the new system may lead to redundancies, then the parameters of the talks will begin with the previously agreed process.
“This will entail seeking volunteers, early retirements, retraining, redeployment and any other alternative before discussing the possibility of demands for compulsory redundancies."

grough was unable to obtain an English translation of the statement.

Paul Holleran, Scottish organiser of the NUJ, said: “This is a significant victory for our members and I’m pleased that common sense has prevailed.

“Newsquest [managers] have agreed, in writing, that they will explore every avenue to avoid the need for compulsory redundancies. Further, they have agreed to immediately re-recognise the union and conduct negotiations under the terms of the old house agreement.”

Talks will resume between management and the union on Tuesday.