Rescuers searched the Northern Fells. Photo: Keswick MRT

Rescuers searched the Northern Fells. Photo: Keswick MRT

A major search was launched on Sunday morning for a walker reported missing overnight in the North of the Lake District.

A police helicopter joined search dog handlers and two mountain rescue teams in the hunt for the man in the Caldbeck area.

Keswick Mountain Rescue Team who, along with a team from RAF Leeming, were involved in the incident, said the walker had last been seen on Saturday afternoon and was reported missing as night fell.

A Keswick MRT spokesperson said: “Brief contact by phone was made but attempts to narrow down his location proved difficult.

“A search was therefore postponed until morning after the police managed to re-establish temporary contact. They confirmed that he was uninjured but wet and cold after being lost on the fells overnight in mist and rain.”

Keswick team members were called out about 5.30am.

“A wide area of the northern fells, north of Skiddaw and Blencathra, was searched with Keswick and RAF Leeming MRT team members plus the Lakes search dog team. A police helicopter was also tasked after the low morning cloud dissipated.

“Further contact with the missing person was made and a vague description of his whereabouts provided. After some detective work, a Land Rover was sent to Skiddaw House and thankfully the man was located and taken back to Keswick MRT base for a welcome cup of tea and biscuit.”

The incident lasted 7¾ hours and involved 13 Keswick team volunteers, 13 members of the RAF Mountain Rescue Service and four search dogs with their handlers.

The rescuer hitched a lift back to the valley with a paraglider. Photo: Keswick MRT

The rescuer hitched a lift back to the valley with a paraglider. Photo: Keswick MRT

The Keswick team was in action again on Sunday afternoon after a paraglider suffered a broken lower leg in a heavy landing on Threlkeld Knotts.

The spokesperson said: “Both Keswick MRT and the Great North Air Ambulance deployed and Helimed 58 managed to land close to the casualty and provided treatment and pain relief.

“Keswick team arrived shortly after and provided stretcher support to the aircraft which then airlifted the casualty to Carlisle hospital.

“Once the helicopter had left a team member had the good fortune to get a ride down the hill on a tandem paraglider. Lucky fellow.”

Eleven team volunteers were involved in the incident, which lasted just over 2¼ hours.

Some articles the site thinks might be related:

  1. Missing Snowdonia walker found safe after major overnight search
  2. Missing mountain biking group sparks major search on Lakeland fells
  3. Search for Nevis walker missing overnight called off
  4. Lost Lakeland walkers found at car after overnight search by 80 rescuers
  5. Rescuers find body of Blencathra walker after 14-hour overnight search