The CRO Land Rover

The CRO Land Rover

A climber had to be stretchered from a crag that only officially reopened the previous day.

The woman was hit by a rock dislodged by another climber when she was at the foot of Castleberg Rock, overlooking Settle in North Yorkshire, on Sunday. Members of the Cave Rescue Organisation went to the woman’s aid and she was lowered to the road to a waiting ambulance.

The 40-year-old suffered back injuries in the incident at the climbing crag, which was opened at the weekend after years of closure because of the danger of loose rocks falling on to members of the public below.

The project to get Castleberg back in action was a joint venture between the British Mountaineering Council and Settle Town Council.

The rescue rounded off another busy weekend for the CRO, whose volunteers operate both on the fells and caves of the western section of the Yorkshire Dales. On Friday at 1.05pm, the team went to help a 56-year-old man who suffered a suspected heart attack on Little Ingleborough. The man collapsed while walking on the fell with his wife. Sadly he died on the mountain and CRO members stretchered his body to its Land Rover at Gaping Gill, and then down to Clapham. His wife was taken by air ambulance from the hill.

The following day, an 11-year-old girl was reported to be dizzy and exhausted near Crina Bottom, below Ingleborough. The CRO was alerted at 3.05pm and its team vehicle brought the girl from the fellside back down to Ingleton.

On Sunday, a party of canyoners needed rescuing from the Ingleton waterfalls after getting trapped. Two 20-year-old men became caught in a strong eddy in the River Doe, near Beezley Falls. A spokesperson for the CRO said: “One managed to get out onto a downstream ledge; the other was dragged onto a very narrow ledge by a passer-by but was then trapped below a cliff.

“This casualty, by now seriously hypothermic, was hauled to the top in a rescue harness and then carried to a waiting air ambulance. The second casualty, also hypothermic, was assisted up to a road ambulance. The two remaining members of the group, also 20-year-old men, were escorted to safety from the far bank of the river.”

North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service helped in the Beezley Falls rescue.

Some articles the site thinks might be related:

  1. Falling rock traps Ilkley Moor climber on crag for two hours
  2. Climber suffers multiple injuries in 100ft Buck Haw Brow fall
  3. Climber rescued after breaking leg bouldering at Earl Crag
  4. Climber stretchered from crag after fall
  5. Stanage climber suffers broken ankle while bouldering