The North Ridge of Tryfan. Photo: Richard Webb CC-BY-SA-2.0

The North Ridge of Tryfan. Photo: Richard Webb CC-BY-SA-2.0

A woman was airlifted to hospital after suffering head and leg injuries in a fall from a scrambling route.

She was rescued after falling about 5m (15ft) while on Tryfan’s North Ridge today.

The woman was with a group in their 60s, from north Shropshire, tackling the route in Snowdonia in fine but breezy weather. Rescuers said the group was experienced and well equipped.

Ogwen Valley Mountain Rescue Organisation was alerted by police about 1.50pm after the scrambler slipped while ascending the North Tower, and landed at the bottom of the steep step.

Chris Lloyd of the OVMRO said: “She had banged her head and legs and was not fit to continue the walk.

“The mountain rescue team was called and in view of the possible injuries, the distance up the mountain, and the logistics of a midweek callout when team members are not as readily available, a request was made for RAF 22 Squadron [from Valley on Anglesey].

“A hasty team of two was deployed but was beaten to the scene by the Sea King helicopter.

“The strong breeze whistling around Tryfan made hovering a bit precarious. In order to hold a hover, he had to gain altitude and winch out the full length of the wire. The winchman and casualty were soon winched aboard and flown to hospital at Bangor.”

Rescuers then accompanied the remaining five from the group back down to the valley.

While the rescue was in progress, North Wales Police alerted the team of another pair of walkers in difficulties.

Mr Lloyd said a mother in her late 40s and her son in his late 20s, from Sussex, set off for a walk to Cwm Idwal.

He said: “Tempted by the good but steep footpath which goes up to the Devil’s Kitchen – Twll Du – then passes to the left under the cliffs before rising to Llyn y Cŵn, they made the ascent.

“The mother did not fancy the return via this route and suggested trying to find an alternative.

“The son, who did have a map, suggested that they get help while they knew their location. A passing group from an outdoor pursuit centre guided them back down the path but progress was too slow.

“When the group leader knew that the mountain rescue team was on the way, he was able to leave the couple. Team members then took over the escort duty.

“This was painstakingly slow as the woman had lost all confidence. Three hours after the initial call, the couple and the team members arrived at the car park.”

The two rescues bring the total incidents dealt with by the team to 17 this year.

Some articles the site thinks might be related:

  1. Man airlifted to hospital after 60ft fall on Pavey Ark scramble
  2. Walker airlifted to hospital after 50ft fall on Tryfan
  3. Injured walker airlifted to hospital after Tryfan fall
  4. Woman airlifted after 50ft fall on Carneddau climbing route
  5. Girl airlifted from scramble route after head injury