The walker was rescued from Whernside's summit ridge

The walker was rescued from Whernside's summit ridge

Mountain rescuers were kept busy on the Yorkshire Three Peaks at the weekend treating injured cyclists and a walker.

The annual Three Peaks Cyclo-Cross Race saw one competitor airlifted to hospital on Sunday after injuring his hip while coming down Ingleborough.

Bowland Pennine Mountain Rescue Team, which provides safety cover for the event, treated the 49-year-old man after the incident near Cold Cotes on the descent from the fell on its southern flanks.

A small number of Cave Rescue Team members also helped treat the cyclist before he was airlifted to hospital by the Yorkshire Air Ambulance.

Another cyclist suffered a broken collar bone while taking part in the 61km (38-mile) event over Pen-y-ghent, Ingleborough and Whernside.

The Bowland Pennine team also treated a 44-year-old walker on Whernside who dislocated his kneecap and injured his hip while tackling the ascent of the fell from Blea Moor aqueduct.

CRO members also made their way to the scene on the northern end of the summit ridge.

The man was stretchered down the fellside to a team vehicle at the aqueduct, which took him to a waiting ambulance at Ribblehead.

On Saturday, the CRO also rescued a 68-year-old walker who suffered a suspected broken arm when he fell on the limestone pavement above Malham Cove on Saturday.

The team was called out about 3.10pm and along with paramedics treated the man at the scene.

He was then stretchered a short distance to an air ambulance and airlifted from the site.

Some articles the site thinks might be related:

  1. Ninth Three Peaks Cyclo-Cross Race win for Rob Jebb
  2. Yorkshire Three Peaks walker airlifted after breaking arm on Ingleborough
  3. Yorkshire Three Peaks walker guided to safety after getting lost
  4. Walker collapses in heat during Yorkshire Three Peaks challenge
  5. Yorkshire Three Peaks walker rescued from Whernside after breaking ankle