The walker fell ill while with her group in Roughton Gill

The walker fell ill while with her group in Roughton Gill

A walker was rescued after being taken ill while walking on the slopes of Blencathra.

The 18-year-old student was with a youth group yesterday in Roughton Gill on the northern slopes of the fell when she got into difficulties and was unable to continue.

Keswick Mountain Rescue Team was called out about 2.20pm and members went to the walker’s aid and an air ambulance was requested.

It was one of four rescues in three days for the team.

A team spokesperson said: “It was not able to land very close to the casualty site, so the casualty was treated at the scene.

“She was then stretchered out of the gill, and down to one of the team Sprinters, accompanied by a paramedic from the air ambulance.

“It was agreed that the casualty would be taken to the local Keswick Hospital for assessment, and was therefore transferred to a road ambulance at the Blencathra Centre.”

The rescue lasted about 2½ hours and involved 14 team volunteers.

The Keswick team had a busy few days, with two rescues on successive days on Cat Bells and a search for a swimmer reported missing in Derwent Water.

On Monday, a 40-year-old walker slipped and fell while coming down the rock steps on Cat Bells, close to the Leonard Memorial.

She suffered a head injury in the 5m (16ft) fall.

Keswick team members used two vehicles to get to the site, while others made their way direct to the fell. The Great North Air Ambulance also flew to the scene.

The walker was assessed and helped to the helicopter, which flew her to Cumberland Infirmary in Carlisle for treatment. 21 volunteer members were involved in the incident.

Almost immediately, the team was alerted to the missing swimmer.

The Keswick MRT rescue boat was brought from the team’s headquarters, and other boats joined the search on the lake.

A Sea King search and rescue helicopter was also requested.

A team spokesperson said: “The swimmer had been in the water for over two hours and there were concerns for his safety, given there were strong squalls and heavy showers.

“A search of the foreshore was implemented, and whilst this was in progress, a team member spotted what he thought might be a swimmer in the water, some 200m from shore. One of the boats investigated, and it was indeed the missing swimmer who was capable of swimming to shore, unaware of the search in progress.

“The team stood down and returned to base.” 25 members were called out to the incident.

On Sunday, the Keswick team had been called out to Cat Bells when a 56-year-old walker slipped while coming down Skelgill Bank, injuring her leg.

The team spokesperson said: “The team went in from the Newlands side with 12 team members, and reached the casualty swiftly.

“The team doctor and one of the team paramedics administered analgesia, and the other paramedic turned up with the North West Ambulance Service ambulance, so she wasn’t short of medical assistance.

“Once lifted on to the stretcher in a casualty bag, she was carried and sledged down to one of the team’s Sprinters, and then transported to a rendezvous with the NWAS ambulance for transport to hospital.”

Some articles the site thinks might be related:

  1. Keswick rescuers kept busy with calls from Manx police and stranded campers
  2. Five bank holiday weekend rescues keep Keswick team busy
  3. Two callouts in two hours for Keswick rescuers as storm blows walkers over
  4. Severely ill wild-camper among six callouts for busy Keswick rescue team
  5. Keswick rescuers called out three times in eight hours to aid Lakeland walkers