A Royal Navy Sea King helicopter winched the injured climber from the mountain. Photo: Stuart Hill/MoD/Crown Copyright

A Royal Navy Sea King helicopter winched the injured climber from the mountain. Photo: Stuart Hill/MoD/Crown Copyright

A climber was injured in a fall close to where a walker fell to his death at the weekend.

The mountaineer was tackling a winter route on Browncove Crags, Helvellyn, when the incident happened on Thursday morning.

Keswick Mountain Rescue Team was alerted about 11.05am after the climber suffered spinal, head and neck injuries in the fall.

A team spokesperson said: “Fortunately there were some mountain rescue personnel in the immediate vicinity, and the alarm was raised immediately. Keswick team immediately despatched two vehicles, and requested a helicopter in order to be able to winch the casualty from his location.”

A Royal Navy Sea King helicopter from HMS Gannet in Ayrshire flew to the scene and the climber was winched aboard and flown to Cumberland Infirmary, Carlisle, for further treatment.

The rescue involved 18 Keswick team members.

On Saturday, David Barrow fell 300m (1,000ft) to his death when trying to help a companion who had fallen a short distance into Brown Cove, about 1km from today’s incident.

The Keswick team had earlier been involved in an overnight search for two climbers who got into difficulties during a trip to the Scafell range.

The pair had completed a climb on the South-East Gully of Great End when one of them texted to say the other was ‘very tired’ and at Esk Hause.

Keswick Mountain Rescue Team was called out about 8.25pm on Wednesday after receiving the information. A team spokesperson said: “The team monitored the situation for a while, and then at 11pm mounted a search of the area with one of the team’s search dogs and a small number of personnel.

“This failed to turn them up, and the search was stood down at 5am, to restart in the morning.

“As the team and further search dogs were assembling, information came in from the police to say they had been found at the lower end of Eskdale.”

The incident involved 17 volunteer members of Keswick MRT and lasted 6½ hours.

Some articles the site thinks might be related:

  1. Injured Lakeland climber airlifted from Raven Crag after 33ft fall
  2. Injured Peel Crag climber airlifted to hospital after fall
  3. Helvellyn climber injured after falling 500ft trying to help stranded walker
  4. Injured climber airlifted after Highland fall
  5. Injured climber airlifted after fall on Scout Crag in Langdale