Rescuers at the scene of the Fan Bwlch Chwyth incident. Photo: Brecon MRT

Rescuers at the scene of the Fan Bwlch Chwyth incident. Photo: Brecon MRT

Rescuers have praised a group on a Duke of Edinburgh’s Award expedition after one of their team collapsed.

Brecon Mountain Rescue Team said the team reacted well in looking after the 16-year-old girl on Fan Bwlch Chwyth near Heol Senni in the Brecon Beacons.

The rescuers were called out on Monday morning by an ambulance crew to help with the unconscious teen who was with a group from New Malden, south London, taking part in their DofE gold expedition.

Mark Jones, Brecon MRT deputy team leader , said: “The group had performed admirably protecting her from the environment, maintaining her airway and calling for help very quickly.”

The young group’s instructors, from a local outdoor centre, arrived on scene swiftly to assist, rescuers said. The girl was stretcher lowered off the hill by Brecon and Western Beacons MRT members to a waiting ambulance. She went on to make a full recovery.

As the rescue was ending, the Brecon team was alerted to a man who had collapsed in Trefil Quarries and who was in a very poorly condition, rescuers said. His colleagues managed to carry him to a Land Rover and drive him to a waiting ambulance while mountain rescue teams from Brecon, Western and Central Beacons MRTs were responding.

July has been a busy month so far for the Brecon team, with incidents ranging from lightning strike victims, people with broken bones at the Ystradfellte waterfalls area, a fallen horse rider, a water search and a town search for a missing person.

Some articles the site thinks might be related:

  1. Four Brecon Beacons teams in operation to bring 26 Duke of Edinburgh’s walkers to safety
  2. Duke of Edinburgh’s group rescued from Black Mountain after walker falls ill
  3. 23 Duke’s Award youngsters among Beacons walkers rescued in foul weather
  4. Praise for Duke of Edinburgh’s team in eight-hour rescue on Peak District hill
  5. Duke of Edinburgh’s Award youth airlifted from Greenup Edge after injury