Rescuers at the scene above Stonethwaite. Photo: Keswick MRT

Rescuers at the scene above Stonethwaite. Photo: Keswick MRT

A man was airlifted to hospital after being knocked unconscious when he fell up to 100ft from a Lake District fell.

Passers-by heard the 68-year-old man’s cries for help after he came round on the hillside in Borrowdale.

The walker suffered serious head, chest, pelvis and thigh injuries when he fell on steep ground near Stonethwaite.

Keswick Mountain Rescue Team was called out about 3.50pm on Wednesday after several members of the public phoned 999 after hearing the man’s calls.

A Keswick team spokesperson said: “One local team member began a search, and came across a passer-by who had discovered a 68-year-old man who had been shouting for help.

“It appeared he had tried to descend from the Dock Tarn path down a steep hillside and had taken a big fall, suffering multiple serious injuries.”

The Great North Air Ambulance Service’s helicopter was also scrambled and flew to the area. An air ambulance spokesperson said it was thought the man might have lain injured for between one and two hours before his shouts were heard.

Keswick MRT said: “The team accessed the scene direct from the road, which involved crossing a number of fences, a wall and then wading the river.

The Great North Air Ambulance at the scene. Photo: GNAAS

The Great North Air Ambulance at the scene. Photo: GNAAS

“Fortunately, Helimed 58 was able to land fairly close to the casualty, but it took some time to carry the casualty down through difficult ground, and the air ambulance staff then had to carry out a number of procedures to stabilise the casualty, before he was loaded aboard and transferred to the Royal Preston Hospital.

“The team stood by until the aircraft was airborne, and then stood down.”

The air ambulance spokesperson said: “The GNAAS doctor-led trauma team anaesthetised him at the scene before he was given two units of blood in the helicopter en route to hospital.

“He was then flown to Royal Preston Hospital in 25 minutes where he arrived in a serious but stable condition.

The spokesperson added: “GNAAS would like to thank BAE Systems at Warton who stayed open so we could refuel the aircraft before our return to base.”

Some articles the site thinks might be related:

  1. Injured walker rescued from Lakeland police commemoration event
  2. Lakeland walker rescued after injuring hip in slip on Borrowdale path
  3. Injured fellrunner and unwell walker airlifted from Lakeland mountains
  4. Two teams in rescue of injured Lakeland walker on Hay Stacks
  5. Injured climber’s calls heard by walkers as he crawled from Snowdonia crag