The couple were stuck in the Winnats Pass. Photo: Edale MRT

The couple were stuck in the Winnats Pass. Photo: Edale MRT

A couple stuck on steep ground at a Peak District beauty spot guided rescuers by sending them a selfie showing their position.

Edale Mountain Rescue Team members were able to make their way to their help them using the photo to pinpoint their location.

The Sunday incident was one of five incidents in a busy bank holiday weekend for the team, which saw them clock up their 50th rescue of the year.

Among those needing the volunteers’ help were an injured climber, two mountain bikers who had crashed, and a vulnerable missing woman.

The selfie couple called for help shortly after midday when they got stuck scrambling up a steep bank to the left of Winnats Pass. Team leader James Stubley said: “They were uninjured but very much stuck on a ledge near the top of the pass.

“Team members were able to access them and assist them to safer ground with the aid of a rope system.

“What made the job slightly more interesting was this was possibly our first callout initiated via a ‘selfie’. The stuck couple had the presence of mind to send an earlier picture they had taken to the duty leader, as the position they were stuck in could be clearly seen in their earlier selfie. This allowed the team to access their position rapidly.”

The Edale team was called out on Friday evening when a woman fell about 5m (16ft) from a route on Stanage Edge near Hathersage. The climber, who was with a group from Sheffield University, landed heavily at the base of the edge.

The Yorkshire Air Ambulance flew the injured climber to hospital. Photo: Edale MRT

The Yorkshire Air Ambulance flew the injured climber to hospital. Photo: Edale MRT

Team members joined a crew from East Midlands Ambulance Service at the scene and the woman was treated for head and possible pelvic injuries and placed in a vacuum mattress.

Mr Stubley said: “Due to the potential seriousness of her injuries the Yorkshire Air Ambulance also attended the incident. After an excellent landing by their pilot, it meant team members only had a short carry to the helicopter.

“After handing the treatment over to the aircrew, the transfer to the major trauma centre in Sheffield was only a short one by air.”

On Saturday, team members took part in fundraising activities in Edale and Hathersage before being called to help colleagues from Woodhead MRT who were dealing with an incident at Grenoside Woods in Sheffield.

A mountain biker had fallen, causing head and facial injuries. Following initial treatment by Yorkshire Ambulance Service paramedics, members of both teams carried the man back to the road on a mountain rescue stretcher. Once equipment was re-packed, the team returned to continue fundraising.

Mr Stubley said: “As the team vehicles were returning back to stations, we were contacted by Derbyshire Police with a request to assist with an ongoing search for a missing vulnerable female in the Brimington area of Chesterfield. As this was right on the border between us and Derby Mountain Rescue Team, both teams were put on standby.”

The team leader met with police for a briefing before team members were called a rendezvous point. Mr Stubley said: “Despite it being in a town, several high priority rural areas were identified to be searched. Thankfully, as initial search patterns were being completed the police received further information pinpointing her location.

“Team members including a team doctor were sent to assess the lady who had been out in the open all night. She was then taken to hospital for further assessment and treatment.”

The team thanked those who helped carry the stretcher. Photo: Edale MRT

The team thanked those who helped carry the stretcher. Photo: Edale MRT

On Sunday, as Edale MRT was concluding its rescue of the Winnats Pass pair, they were called to another incident involving a mountain biker near the village of Bradwell.

The team leader said: “Team members and vehicles responded rapidly, as initial reports suggested the rider to have serious injuries. A team paramedic arrived first and found [cardio-pulmonary resuscitation] to be in progress; advanced resuscitation continued and a team doctor quickly joined the effort.

“Along with team members all worked to stabilise the casualty. The crew of the Derbyshire Leicestershire and Rutland air ambulance, along with an EMAS crew also joined the rescue, with all resources working tirelessly together.

“After appropriate treatment, the casualty was carried to the ambulance on a mountain rescue stretcher, and transferred to the village green where the air ambulance had been able to land.

“He was flown directly to Stoke major trauma centre. The team would like to pass on their thanks to two individuals that assisted with the stretcher carry and a number of local residents that lined the way to guide in the emergency services from the roadside in Bradwell village. This incident really was a collective effort from all.”

Edale MRT members will again be fundraising in Hathersage, Bakewell and Edale on Monday. Mr Stubley said: “After three days, five incidents and a lot of interoperability working with multiple emergency services, one thing is certain: this would not be possible without close relationships with all the services, you – the public that continue to donate to the team – and our membership and supporters that give up their time to help others at a moment’s notice.”

Some articles the site thinks might be related:

  1. Rescue team turns back walking group heading for Simonside wildfire
  2. Lakeland walkers suffer injured knee and heart attack in two incidents
  3. Teen airlifted from Cadair Idris after ankle injury and asthma attack
  4. Two Ben Nevis climbers airlifted in separate incidents
  5. Rescuer breaks ankle as teams called out to second Lakeland night incident