Rescuers stretcher the injured man to the island during the day's first incident. Photo: Edale MRT

Rescuers stretcher the injured man to the island during the day's first incident. Photo: Edale MRT

A man who suffered serious chest injuries after falling 25ft on to rocks was among four people helped by a Peak District rescue team in one day.

Edale Mountain Rescue Team was alerted to four incidents almost simultaneously on Monday and three different helicopters flew to the incidents across the area.

The team joined colleagues from the Buxton team in the first callout about 10.50am after a 71-year-old walker from Chesterfield slipped from the footpath near the river in Chee Dale.

An Edale MRT spokesperson said: “Team members from both teams along with the crew from the Derbyshire, Leicestershire and Rutland Air Ambulance worked together to stabilise him.

“He was treated for a head injury and suspected back injuries. Due to his presenting condition, initial intention was to anaesthetise him at the scene. To aid the extrication a search and rescue helicopter was requested from the Maritime and Coastguard Agency.

“The stretcher was lowered using a basic rope system down to the site before the casualty was loaded. He was then carried and raised back to the path. Team members then relocated to an island within the river to where the helicopter could winch from.”

The injured man was then airlifted to the major trauma centre in Sheffield.

While the rescue was in progress, the team was alerted to another incident at Moscar in Sheffield where a fellrunner had slipped on ice and broken his ankle.

The spokesperson said: “He was protected from the elements, given intravenous analgesia and then carried the 200m back to the road on a mountain rescue stretcher.”

During the rescue, the Edale team was made aware of two other incidents in its area.

Two team members who were en route from Millers Dale to Moscar were diverted to White Edge, where a 50-year-old man from Sheffield had slipped from the edge falling 8m on to rocks below.

The team spokesperson said: “He was treated initially by passers-by before our team leader arrived on scene.

“Following assessment he was treated for a significant chest injury, given intravenous morphine for the pain while other team members now free from incidents one and two responded.

“Once equipment arrived he was placed on a vacuum mattress and carried back to the top of the edge. He was then moved to a suitable location where the Yorkshire Air Ambulance could land.

“He was then also conveyed to the major trauma centre at Sheffield’s Northern General Hospital.”

A fourth call stretched the Edale team further. The spokesperson said: “Our duty team leader was contacted by one of our honorary members who had stumbled across an incident near to Dennis Knoll car park at Stanage.

“A 51-year-old road cyclist had been involved in an accident resulting in him going over a ditch into a field where he then struck a rock.

“One of our team vehicles responded with a team doctor on board. The male was given advanced analgesia for a fractured hip. We then put a request in for the Derbyshire, Leicestershire and Rutland Air Ambulance once more.

“Thankfully they were able to return to convey the casualty again to the Northern General Hospital in Sheffield.”

While the Edale team was dealing with the four incidents, another call for help was received after a woman slipped and broke her ankle while descending from the summit of Mam Tor.

The Kinder Mountain Rescue Team leader happened to be on the summit of the hill at the time and was first on the scene.

Members of the Buxton team who had been involved in the day’s first incident then made their way on to Mam Tor along with ambulance crew members.

The woman was treated at the scene and then taken to hospital.

Some articles the site thinks might be related:

  1. Three mountain bikers among five incidents in 24 hours for Edale rescuers
  2. Peak District incidents keep Glossop rescuers busy with four weekend callouts
  3. Injured Peak District woman’s surprise as crowd of rescuers turns up to help
  4. New Year’s Day incidents keep Lake District rescuers busy with four callouts
  5. Stuck Peak District couple send selfie to guide rescuers to them