Two walkers fell in separate accidents on The Old Man of Coniston. Photo: Mick Garratt CC-BY-SA-2.0

Two walkers fell in separate accidents on The Old Man of Coniston. Photo: Mick Garratt CC-BY-SA-2.0

More than 40 mountain rescuers were involved in an operation to help two walkers who fell in separate incidents on The Old Man of Coniston.

In one of the incidents, a man fell more than 300ft, suffering serious injuries.

Coniston Mountain Rescue Team was called out about 1pm on Tuesday after reports a man had slipped while descending from the fell, falling towards Goat’s Water and tumbling more than 100m.

A team spokesperson said: “Due to the potentially serious nature of the incident, assistance from Duddon and Furness MRT was requested. Helimed 58 from [the Great North Air Ambulance Service] was already en route and a Coastguard helicopter with winching capability was requested.

“The casualty was treated for multiple serious injuries and was winched from the mountain by the Coastguard helicopter.

“He was flown down to the John Ruskin School playing field in Coniston where he was transferred to the GNAA air ambulance and flown to Preston Royal Infirmary.”

Less than half an hour after being alerted to the first incident, the team was called to help a second walker on The Old Man of Coniston.

The woman had fallen close to the summit while making her way up the mountain. The team spokesperson said: “Due to the ongoing previous incident, colleagues from Langdale Ambleside MRT were contacted to deal with this rescue.

“Some members of the Coniston team diverted to the scene, and further support was requested from Kendal Mountain Search and Rescue Team. The lady was treated for a suspected dislocated knee and was placed in a stretcher before being winched into the Coastguard helicopter which had returned to assist after evacuating the previous casualty.

“She was then flown to Furness General Hospital, Barrow-in-Furness.”

The rescues involved 14 members of the Coniston team, with the same number of Duddon and Furness team members, eight from Langdale Ambleside, and seven from the Kendal team.

The operations ended about 6.15pm.

Some articles the site thinks might be related:

  1. Walker injured in fall on Old Man of Coniston
  2. Seriously injured walker airflifted from Tryfan after 300ft fall in icy conditions
  3. Rescuers’ slate mine warning after Old Man of Coniston walker injured
  4. Helvellyn walker injured in 300ft fall from Swirral Edge
  5. Man seriously injured in 300ft fall from St Sunday Crag