Rescuers stretcher the man down the Sty Head path. Photo: Keswick MRT

Rescuers stretcher the man down the Sty Head path. Photo: Keswick MRT

A walker who was ‘battered and bruised’ after being blown over by Storm Ophelia’s winds was rescued after spending the night on a Lake District fell.

The man was discovered in an exhausted state by a passer-by on the path below Sty Head Tarn.

Keswick Mountain Rescue Team was alerted about 10.10am on Tuesday after the member of the public descended to Seathwaite Farm to use the public phone box to raise the alarm.

Wasdale Mountain Rescue Team took the original call but it was passed to the Keswick team as it appeared to be in its area.

A Keswick MRT spokesperson said: “The team were very shorthanded, as no fewer than 18 were away at a winter training course, but we managed to scratch together a small group.

“A promise from Cockermouth team to assist ensured that there would be sufficient numbers to stretcher the man off.

“Two members local to the area set off immediately with warm clothing and a shelter, and discovered the man, hypothermic and exhausted, close to the footbridge below Sty Head Tarn. He had been blown over several times by the strong winds from Storm Ophelia, and was somewhat battered and bruised.

“With the assistance of the Cockermouth team, he was stretchered down to Seathwaite Farm, and an ambulance took him to the Cumberland Infirmary for treatment.”

The rescue took more than 3½ hours and involved seven Keswick MRT members and nine from the Cockermouth team.

The rescue scene on Cat Bells. Photo: Keswick MRT

The rescue scene on Cat Bells. Photo: Keswick MRT

The Keswick volunteers were also in action the previous day when a woman suffered a serious ankle injury while walking on Cat Bells with her partner.

Many of the team were involved in the large-scale search on Scafell Pike for missing walker Dawid Kancyr so a small number of volunteers set off to Skelgill and drove down the track to Yewthwaite Mines.

The team spokesperson said: “From here they were able to get on scene quickly, and a further three team members joined them. The lady was given analgesia, her leg splinted, and she was then stretchered down to the Land Rover, and driven to the roadhead.”

The injured walker was then taken to Cumberland Infirmary in Carlisle by ambulance.

Nine Keswick MRT members took part in the rescue, which lasted more than two hours.

Some articles the site thinks might be related:

  1. Injured walker spends longest night of year in storm on Ullswater fell
  2. Lakeland walker rescued from Borrowdale fell after injuring ankle
  3. Martindale walker rescued after seizure on Lakeland fell
  4. Collapsed walker rescued from Lakeland fell
  5. Airlift for walker with broken ankle on Lakeland fell