The girl was rescued from Coire na Tulaich on Buachaille Etive Mòr. Photo: Bob Smith/grough

The girl was rescued from Coire na Tulaich on Buachaille Etive Mòr. Photo: Bob Smith/grough

A Coastguard helicopter crew rescued two injured walkers in the Highlands within an hour of each other.

The aircraft made its way to the second casualty with the first walker on board, before flying them both for hospital treatment.

Police requested the help of the Inverness Coastguard helicopter shortly after 3.30pm on Sunday after a walker injured his ankle in a fall on Beinn Pharlagain, a corbett north of Rannoch railway station.

A Maritime and Coastguard Agency spokesperson said: “Shortly after winching the casualty onboard the helicopter was immediately tasked again just after 4.30pm to a 12-year-old girl who’d injured her knee whilst walking with her mother in the Glen Coe area.

“As darkness and temperatures were falling, the helicopter went straight to the second casualty, with the first casualty still on board as he did not require immediate hospitalisation.”

The crew flew to the Coire na Tulaich area on Buachaille Etive Mòr.

The spokesperson said: “After a short search the young girl was located in a tight gully, some 2,500ft up the mountain.

“The helicopter was first on scene and the Glencoe Mountain Rescue Team arrived shortly afterwards.

“They winched the young girl on board and then the two casualties were taken to Torlundy, where there were met by two ambulances for onward transfer to Belford Hospital, Fort William.”

Giles Ratcliffe, captain of the Inverness Coastguard helicopter said: “It was fairly busy day with these two-back-to back jobs.

“The first job was fairly straightforward but when we were scrambled to the second job we still had the first patient onboard. Thankfully, he was not badly injured so we kept him on board whilst we rescued the little girl.

“It was getting dark and cold, and certainly below freezing where the girl and her mother were located, some 2,500ft up the mountain.

“Once we winched the young girl on board we took both casualties to Fort William. We wish them both a speedy recovery.”

Coastguard footage of the girl being winched into the helicopter from Coire na Tulaich

Some articles the site thinks might be related:

  1. Team stops Coastguard helicopter rolling over in Ingleborough rescue
  2. Nine-hour stint for rescue crew in spate of Highland incidents
  3. Devon Coastguard team called into action for injured walker in Yorkshire Dales
  4. Cairngorm team in ‘brutal’ stretcher carry of injured walker in eight-hour night rescue
  5. Injured Cheviots walker airlifted in five-hour rescue