The rescue scene in the Harthope Valley. Photo: Northumberland National Park MRT

The rescue scene in the Harthope Valley. Photo: Northumberland National Park MRT

An injured walker was airlifted from a remote hillside in the Cheviots in a rescue lasting more than five hours.

Police alerted members of the Northumberland National Park Mountain Rescue Team and North of Tyne Mountain Rescue Team about 5.05pm on Saturday after the woman slipped and injured her ankle in the Harthope Valley.

A Northumberland National Park MRT spokesperson said: “The first members of mountain rescue to reach the casualty got to the remote incident site in just over an hour after the activation.”

The woman in her early 60s had fallen on steep ground half a kilometre upstream of Harthope Linn waterfall, east of The Cheviot.

The spokesperson said: “Her companion had to leave her location to raise the alarm due to poor mobile service.

“During this time, other walkers had found the casualty and kept her company while waiting for mountain rescue to arrive.

“A mountain rescue medic alongside a paramedic from the North East Ambulance Service administered pain relief to the casualty. Other mountain rescue members ferried kit from the mountain rescue Land Rover ambulances at Langleeford Hope in case a stretcher carry was required.”

Because of the injured walker’s condition and the location, a Coastguard helicopter was requested. The spokesperson said: “The Coastguard helicopter Rescue 199 from Prestwick displayed skilful flying to enable a swift evacuation of the casualty and transport to hospital in Melrose.”

The incident involved 20 mountain rescue volunteers for 5 hours 40 minutes.

Some articles the site thinks might be related:

  1. Injured kayaker airlifted from North Pennines river after six-hour rescue operation
  2. Two teams in eight-hour rescue of injured walker on Northumberland fell
  3. Injured walker airlifted from Moffat hills during seven-hour rescue
  4. Walker airlifted from Cheviots hillside after injuring leg
  5. More than 60 volunteers battle blizzards in 10-hour rescue of Cheviots walkers