The man died at Hodge Close Quarry. Photo: Espresso Addict CC-BY-SA 2.0

The man died at Hodge Close Quarry. Photo: Espresso Addict CC-BY-SA 2.0

Rescuers have warned of the dangers of wild swimming after a man died in a disused Lake District quarry.

Coniston Mountain Rescue Team was called out to Hodge Close Quarry shortly before 6pm on Tuesday, where a swimmer had failed to surface from the pond at the site, near High Tilberthwaite.

Cumbria Constabulary said the man, from Barrow-in-Furness, jumped from height into the water.

A spokesperson said: “A multi-agency search operation took place and a body of a 30-year-old man from Barrow was discovered.

“The deceased’s family have been notified and the coroner has been informed.”

Coniston MRT said 16 of its volunteers attended the incident and helped the fire and rescue service and police to secure the scene and help other members of the man’s group. “Assistance was also given to the police diving team with equipment used in retrieving the casualty and the handover to HM Coroner’s office.

“Coniston Mountain Rescue Team would urge people to exercise extreme caution when wild swimming, especially among the many flooded abandoned quarry workings in the Coniston area.

“We strongly advise against jumping into the water from height, as the forces experienced when entering the water can be disorientating at best, and can lead to physical injury.

“The water in the quarries and high mountain tarns is still very cold compared to the warm air outside and even strong and experienced swimmers can experience difficulties, not to mention underwater hazards that may not be obvious from above.”

Police said the death is not being treated as suspicious.

Some articles the site thinks might be related:

  1. Lake District police urge wild swimming caution after two deaths
  2. Walker airlifted after Lakeland quarry injury
  3. Mountain rescuers use boat to reach dog after it takes Ullswater plunge
  4. Rescuers called out after dog dies in Lakeland ridge fall
  5. Lakeland walker dies after 200ft fall