Team members in action during one of the five callouts. Photo: Edale MRT

Team members in action during one of the five callouts. Photo: Edale MRT

Rescuers in the Peak District had one of their busiest days in recent times, with five callouts beginning in the early hours of Sunday and ending more than 12 hours later.

Edale Mountain Rescue Team was alerted, along with colleagues from the Buxton, Kinder and Glossop teams to the first incident at 3.30am.

Two campers called police from the Kinder Scout plateau saying they were cold and unsure of their position. A search began and the pair were found by a search dog and handler about three hours later.

An Edale MRT spokesperson said the two campers were given a welfare check and advice to make their own way off the hill.

The spokesperson said: “By 9am Edale team members were able to leave for home for a few hours rest before being called back out to a walker who had taken a nasty tumble on the steep slopes above the Winnats Pass.

“The walker was treated for arm and head injuries before being lowered down to the pass on a mountain rescue stretcher for onwards transport to hospital.

“No sooner had team members arrived back at our base in Hope, than we were called out again to assist Yorkshire Ambulance Service with an unconscious crashed mountain biker somewhere on the Houndkirk track above the A6187. The team provided specialist 4×4 vehicles and medical support and was able to evacuate the biker rapidly towards a waiting ambulance.

“However, almost simultaneously the team was once again contacted with regards to another developing incident just below the Great Ridge near Castleton.

“Buxton MRT was requested to assist but they too were dealing with a further incident in their main operating area and so the two teams dispatched spare resources from their current locations to the new callout. A walker who had taken a slip on loose rock and suffered a painful lower leg injury was located below Hollins Cross.

“Once again, working with East Midlands Ambulance Service, the injured party was lowered down to a waiting ambulance.”

While the Edale volunteers were dealing with the incident, they were alerted to reports of an injured climber below Stanage Edge.

The spokesperson said: “Due to initial information regarding the climber’s injuries all remaining team members and vehicles were diverted back to the other end of the Hope Valley and working in partnership with Woodhead MRT located the casualty and provided medical support before again evacuation from the crag to a waiting East Midlands ambulance.

“This was not only one of our busiest days in recent times for Edale MRT but also for the wider Peak District Mountain Rescue Organisation, with a number of regional teams attending multiple concurrent incidents across the area.

“PDMRO mountain rescue volunteers had been attending incidents and away from their homes almost without a break from three o’clock in the morning until at least 6pm.”

Some articles the site thinks might be related:

  1. Walker seriously injured in 165ft fall in Mourne Mountains
  2. Yorkshire Dales walker dies after being injured by cattle
  3. Rescuers thank walkers who provided extra clothes for injured Sugar Loaf woman
  4. Walker rescued after breaking ankle on Coast to Coast route
  5. Scafell Pike walker airlifted to hospital after injuring knee