The man had gone walking in Langstrath. Photo: Keswick MRT

The man had gone walking in Langstrath. Photo: Keswick MRT

Rescuers searching for a missing walker in the Lake District discovered a man’s body.

Keswick Mountain Rescue Team was called out about 10.35pm on Thursday when the 70-year-old failed to return from a day’s walk in Langstrath.

His son contacted police when he did not return as expected, after setting off early in the morning.

A team spokesperson said: “Keswick Mountain Rescue and Lake District Mountain Rescue Search Dogs teams were deployed to cover possibilities around the man’s intended route over Eagle Crag and Sergeant Crag. A Coastguard helicopter also assisted with the search.

“In the early hours of the morning the man was found, but tragically he had sustained fatal injuries from a fall. Our deepest thoughts and condolences go to his family and friends.”

The incident involved 23 team members for almost 7¾ hours.

The team was in action twice the following day.

Members were alerted about 11.55am when a walker suffered a broken ankle just above Stockley Bridge in Borrowdale.

The spokesperson said: “One of the team who lives nearby arrived quickly on scene to assess her injuries and requested an air ambulance to assist.

“The air ambulance made an impressive landing very near to the casualty so that she could be given strong pain relief and her ankle reduced as soon as possible. The team then stretchered the lady to the waiting helicopter and onward to Carlisle hospital.”

The rescue scene near Stockley Bridge. Photo: Keswick MRT

The rescue scene near Stockley Bridge. Photo: Keswick MRT

In the evening, the Keswick volunteers were called out to Dalehead Tarn, where a group undertaking a Duke of Edinburgh’s Award expedition from Buttermere raised the alarm after one of them became ill with heat exhaustion.

The spokesperson said: “The group’s instructor dialled 999 for the police and asked for mountain rescue.

“The team was deployed to the group via Honister and on arrival assessed the casualty’s condition with further team members and a stretcher en-route. The casualty had already rested and cooled and with the team’s assistance was able to slowly walk back to his school’s bus waiting at Honister.”

The rescue lasted just over 2½ hours and involved 16 Keswick MRT members.

On Saturday the team’s help was requested by a family walking on Allen Crags when their 19-year-old daughter began being violently sick and was unable to continue.

The team was alerted about 10.20am. The spokesperson said an air ambulance was not available, so a Coastguard helicopter was requested and reached the group before the team arrived.

“The Coastguard helicopter assessed the casualty and transported the whole family to Crow Park where they were transported to Keswick hospital,” the spokesperson said.

Eleven team members were involved in the incident for almost 3¾ hours.

That evening Keswick MRT was called out again when a woman walking near Grange in Borrowdale tripped and badly injured her kneecap.

The spokesperson said: “Although close to the road, the Keswick Mountain Rescue team were requested to help evacuate the woman.

“The team struggled through heavy traffic to reach the casualty while the ambulance staff administered pain relief. The woman was then stretchered to the waiting ambulance for further treatment at Carlisle hospital.”

The incident lasted just over 1½ hours and involved 13 team members.

Some articles the site thinks might be related:

  1. Rescuers searching for missing walker John Barnes, 92, find body on Black Hill
  2. Rescuers searching for missing Steall walker Alistair Porteous find body
  3. Rescuers searching for missing Glen Coe walker David Low find man’s body
  4. Man’s body found by rescuers searching for missing Rùm hillwalker
  5. Rescuers searching for missing man find body on Ben Loyal