Rescuers at the scene. Photo: OVMRO

Rescuers at the scene. Photo: OVMRO

A man has died after falling 200ft from a scrambling route in Snowdonia.

The 25-year-old was leading a route on the Dolmen Ridge on the cliffs of Glyder Fach on Sunday when the incident happened.

Ogwen Valley Mountain Rescue Organisation was alerted by police shortly after midday.

Chris Lloyd of the rescue team said: “They had received a call reporting that a male had fallen 60m from the rock face down into West Gully. The caller and two climbers who were local to the incident had made their way into the gully. They found the seriously injured casualty unconscious.

“On receipt of the call from North Wales Police, the team leader immediately requested the assistance of the Coastguard’s helicopter, Rescue 936 based at Caernarfon, as well as alerting members of the mountain rescue team.

“The helicopter was able to fly past the cliffs but due to low cloud was unable to conduct a rescue. He therefore collected two parties of five and six team members and flew them to Cwm Bochlwyd, just below the cliff.”

The rescuers made their way up the steep, loose screes to the West Gully, where a group of six climbed to the site. Mr Lloyd said: “It was soon realised that the climber had not survived his fall and therefore the urgency was to get his climbing partner, also 25, and the two climbers who had stopped to assist, from the mountain.

“By now the weather was beginning to deteriorate with the oncoming forecast storm. These three were able to abseil 70m down the rescue team’s ropes, supervised by team members. At the bottom, they were taken from the mountain to the sanctuary of Oggi Base just a mile along the valley.

“Meanwhile, the rescue party hauled up a stretcher and secured the casualty. The stretcher was carefully lowered down this very loose gully with the team members trying to avoid dislodging rocks down the gully. By now, the strong gusting winds were blowing team members off their feet and also dislodging rocks.”

The Ogwen Valley team members requested the help of Llanberis Mountain Rescue Team to help with the long stretcher carry, and 11 Llanberis team members joined the operation, meeting the Ogwen Valley members at the base of the screes in the boulder field at the back of the cwm.

“They carried the stretcher from the mountain, assisted by fresh Ogwen personnel,” Mr Lloyd said. “At the roadside, the casualty was handed over to North Wales Police. Team members returned to Oggi Base after 10 hours on the mountain.”

Mr Lloyd said both men seemed well equipped, with helmets and a rope.

“While the cause of this accident has yet to be investigated, it seems extremely unfortunate,” he added.

“Our thoughts are with the casualty’s family, his climbing partner and the two men who witnessed and assisted at the initial stages.

“Our thanks to the members of Llanberis MRT for their assistance.”

Some articles the site thinks might be related:

  1. Man dies after fall from Bristly Ridge on Glyder Fach
  2. Three stuck on Glyder Fach after leader falls 66ft
  3. Pair winched from Glyder Fach after getting stuck on Bristly Ridge
  4. Man dies in 200ft fall from Helvellyn in snow and icy conditions
  5. Mountain professional dies in fall from Snowdonia climb