A Penrith MRT member with a helicopter as night draws in

A Penrith MRT member with a helicopter as night draws in

A volunteer mountain rescue team had a record-breaking day yesterday, with four callouts to incidents in its area.

Penrith Mountain Rescue Team doubled its previous record on a busy day that began with planned swiftwater training on the River Eden.

Its rescuers were put on standby to help the neighbouring team at Patterdale with a search for a Coast to Coast walker who was reported missing.

Police then called out the Penrith team when a walker in his 50s suffered chest pains on Mardale Ill Bell above Haweswater. While the rescuers made their way to the site, the Great North Air Ambulance was scrambled and was able to land close to the man and airlift him for treatment to the Cumberland Infirmary in Carlisle.

Sixteen Penrith members were involved in the two-hour-long rescue.

The volunteers then returned to the search for the missing walker in the Mardale and Haweswater areas before being stood down when the man was found safe and well. 13 of the team took part in the search which lasted three hours.

In the early evening, volunteers’ meals were interrupted by a pager request to help look for a woman from the North East who was reported in a ‘despondent’ state in the Mardale Head area, close to the day’s previous incidents.

A police helicopter from Cleveland also joined the search.

A Penrith MRT spokesperson said: “Search dogs were called out and an RAF Sea King was requested.

“Acting on information received, a group of team members was dispatched to Small Water, while other members searched various areas around Mardale Head.

“A further party was airlifted by the police to assist in searching the Small Water area.

“Team members found the missing female at Nan Bield Pass. She was very anxious and distressed but otherwise OK.

“A Sea King from RAF Boulmer was able to land nearby and a team member accompanied the lady to hospital at Carlisle.”

Seventeen members were involved for five hours.

The spokesperson said: “While the last incident was taking place, one of the groups of team members searching the shoreline of Haweswater came across a party doing the Coast to Coast who reported one of their group was close to Kidsty Pike and suffering with a knee injury.

“A small number of team members were re-tasked to this incident.

“An RAF MRT was also in the area and tasked to assist. The gentleman was walked from the fell to Mardale Head. Three members were involved for one hour.”

The spokesperson added: “Thankfully all the incidents had a positive outcome.”

Some articles the site thinks might be related:

  1. Missing swimmer and three walkers in difficulty keep Keswick rescuers busy
  2. Unconscious teen on Bleaklow among rescues for busy Glossop rescuers
  3. Busy time for Edale rescuers with five callouts in 12 hours
  4. Snowdonia rescuers kept busy as weather tempts visitors onto the hills
  5. Technology helps mountain rescuers find lost walkers in two incidents