The race, along Ullswater's shoreline, kept rescuers busy

The race, along Ullswater's shoreline, kept rescuers busy

Two adventure runners were airlifted to hospital after injuring themselves on the event near Ullswater.

Mountain rescuers also had to deal with competitors affected by the cold and wet on the trail running race.

Patterdale Mountain Rescue Team, whose members were on duty for the event, were alerted at 10.40am today when a Cumbrian man fell and injured his head during the race.

A team spokesperson said: “When the team arrived, two other runners, a passing medic from North West Air Ambulance and a member of another mountain rescue team had stopped to assist the man.

“The man was assessed and found to have a deep laceration to his head. While the rescue was taking place a Sea King helicopter passed overhead and the team requested their assistance with the rapid evacuation of the man.

“He was transferred from a difficult section of the footpath to the opposite side of the lake where the Sea King was able to land safely. The helicopter then flew the man to Carlisle and he arrived 10 minutes later. He received stitches for the wound and was later released from hospital.”

While the man was being helped, two team members went to the aid of a woman runner who slipped and injured her ankle about 1km away.

The spokesperson said: “The woman was cold and although the team were about transfer her to their boat, the evacuation and subsequent transfer to hospital would have been approximately 90 minutes.

“As a result, the team requested the assistance of the helicopter again. The Sea King returned approximately 15 minutes later and the woman was transferred quickly to hospital.

“Given that the team was dealing with two incidents and there were well over 1,000 participants taking part, Penrith MRT was asked to assist with the second incident.

“They were stood down en route after the helicopter arrived but managed to make it in time for tea and biscuits – one of their favourite past times when they come to Patterdale.”

The Patterdale spokesperson said the wet weather during the day led to the team making impromptu cups of tea for some of the race participants.

During the afternoon two further participants turned up at the mountain rescue trailer suffering from the effects of the cold.

“One man was provided with warm clothing and a woman was placed in a sleeping bag, given heat pads and spent the next couple of hours in a warm Land Rover warming up while her boyfriend completed the next race.

“Patterdale MRT would like to thank all those who assisted them today: RAF Kinloss and RAF Boulmer; the passing medic and team member; and Penrith Mountain Rescue Team, who never fail to turn out when we ask.”

The Patterdale team members also held a fundraising event at Glenridding on the day of the race.

The rescues involved 12 volunteer team members for about three hours.

Some articles the site thinks might be related:

  1. Injured climber airlifted to hospital after fall on Aonach Mòr
  2. Mountain rescuers use boat to reach injured Ullswater walker
  3. Three callouts for Patterdale rescuers as runners injured in slips
  4. Injured Bleaklow walker airlifted to hospital after major search
  5. Rescuers aid two injured Cadair Idris runners during Ras y Gader race