The walker suffered a suspected heart attack on Skiddaw

The walker suffered a suspected heart attack on Skiddaw

A walker has died after collapsing on a Lake District mountain.

The 51-year-old suffered a suspected heart attack while on Skiddaw with two companions on Sunday.

Keswick Mountain Rescue Team was alerted about 12.40pm and members made their way towards the site at Carl Side col.

A team spokesperson said: “His friends and other passers-by assisted with cardio-pulmonary resuscitation, and the Great North Air Ambulance was swiftly on the scene, but regrettably the casualty’s life could not be saved.

“The team had accessed the area via Dodd Wood, but were stood down once the Helimed crew had taken responsibility for the fatal accident protocol. The helicopter then flew the body down to Keswick, where the team assisted in transferring it to the undertaker.”

The rescue operation lasted almost 3½ hours and involved nine Keswick team volunteers.

The team was also asked to come to the aid of a walker who injured his leg on the summit of Glaramara.

The 54-year-old twisted his knee badly and was unable to bear weight on his leg.

A Keswick MRT spokesperson said: “As the team had insufficient numbers for this job, Cockermouth MRT was asked to take the task on, and the few team members that Keswick had were deployed to assist them.

“The teams accessed the area via Hind Gill and Comb Gill. Fortunately, Helimed 08 from Blackpool [the North West Air Ambulance] was in a position to assist, and once the team had loaded the casualty aboard, he was flown to Furness General Hospital for treatment.”

The rescue involved 19 Cockermouth and six Keswick team members.

The Keswick team need some help itself after its Land Rover got bogged down later in the day while on a mission to rescue a woman with an injured ankle on the northern slopes of Skiddaw.

The team spokesperson said: “The team set off to Barkbethdale with two vehicles full of personnel.

“A Land Rover, good as it is, doesn’t always get you there. Fortunately, [Great North Air Ambulance] Helimed 58 was on the case, despite the steepness of the terrain, and was able to put down about 600m from the casualty.

“The team continued on foot to assist with the carry, but with darkness approaching, the Helimed crew managed get the casualty to the aircraft, and advised the team leader that the team could stand down.

“In the meantime, the local farm had supplied a quad to extract the Land Rover – for which assistance many thanks.”

The spokesperson added that the efforts of the air ambulance crew saved the team a long stretcher carry.

Some articles the site thinks might be related:

  1. Lakeland walker dies after collapsing on Skiddaw
  2. Lakeland walker dies after collapsing on Hart Crag
  3. Man dies after collapsing on Lake District mountain
  4. Lakeland walker dies after collapsing on Hindscarth descent
  5. Great Gable walker dies after collapsing at summit