A trimmed-down lightweight rucksack was judged top product in this year’s UK Outdoor Industry Awards.
The Lowe Alpine Ascent Superlight pack was chosen as overall winner, beating nine other category-winning finalists to take the top accolade.
The results were announced at the Outdoor Industries Association conference in Harrogate last week.
Finalist products were on display to members of the public at the Outdoor Adventure & Camping Show, where consumers were able to vote for their favourite gear. From 10 category winners, a panel of expert judges, including specialist outdoor retailers and journalists, selected the Lowe Alpine pack as the overall product of the year.
One of the judges, Jon Doran of OutdoorsMagic said: “It’s a pared-down distillation of everything Lowe Alpine has learned about pack making over the past 50 years. Light and tough with some genuinely innovative touches, but not at the expense of real world usefulness. And it looks really cool too.”
Before the public vote, more than 100 entries in 10 categories were shortlisted by a panel of expert judges at the Outdoor Trade Show, the UK’s largest outdoor trade exhibition.
Category winners announced last week were:
- Accessories: Trekmates Mountain Pod
- Backpacks/travel luggage: Lowe Alpine Ascent Superlight
- Camping equipment: Aquaforno Piccoloforno
- Clothing: Rab Kinetic Plus
- Climbing equipment: Edelrid Bulletproof
- Digital product: Ordnance Survey OS Map
- Footwear: Hangaw Cameros Wide
- Family: Vango AirHub Hex Gazebo
- Sleeping: Snugpak Cocoon
- Tents: MSR Access 2 Backcountry.
The 2018 awards will be open for entries shortly. More information is available on the Outdoor Industries Association website.