Rescuers deal with the injured teen in Langstrath. Photo: Keswick MRT

Rescuers deal with the injured teen in Langstrath. Photo: Keswick MRT

Rescuers in the Lake District had a busy Thursday evening with four calls for help.

Keswick Mountain Rescue Team was first alerted about 4.25pm after a teenager suffered an injury in Langstrath.

The 17-year-old slipped and dislocated her knee in the lower stretches of the valley when she overbalanced and fell awkwardly while putting on a sock after a dip in the beck.

A team spokesperson said: “Two vehicles with team members left base and met up with the North West Ambulance Service crew and the father of the girl at Stonethwaite camp site from where they continued on foot up the valley.

“The NWAS paramedic assessed the casualty and pain relief was given before the knee cap was put back in place. She was then stretchered back to the camp site to the ambulance.”

The three-hour incident involved 11 Keswick MRT members.

While it was underway, the team was alerted to three more incidents. The spokesperson said: “One was relatively minor and was dealt with on the phone.”

A second request for help, in which a young couple reported themselves lost after setting off from Langdale, was passed to the Langdale Ambleside team, as Keswick MRT members were committed to another callout near Skew Gill on the Sca Fell range.

The Langdale team found the lost walkers on Greenup Edge and accompanied them to safety in an operation lasting four hours and involving seven of its volunteers.

Rescuers stretcher the injured walker down the Corridor Route. Photo: Keswick MRT

Rescuers stretcher the injured walker down the Corridor Route. Photo: Keswick MRT

Meanwhile, Keswick team members made their way to the Corridor Route where a 71-year-old walker had injured himself.

He had summited Scafell Pike with three friends and took a tumble on the descent, injuring his hip and ribs.

The spokesperson said: “He was able to descend some way down the Corridor Route back towards their starting point at Seathwaite but the pace was too slow and the pain too great to continue so they called 999 and asked for mountain rescue assistance.

“Fresh team members set off to locate and treat the casualty. They were followed shortly after by team members returning from the first callout of the evening.

“On reaching the casualty he was assessed and some pain relief was given before being loaded onto a stretcher for a carry down. In consideration of the remote location and the nature of the incident an air ambulance was called.

“A suitable flat landing spot was found above Styhead Tarn and shortly thereafter a helicopter from the North West Air Ambulance arrived. A handover was done, the casualty loaded into the helicopter and then the helicopter took off to fly to Barrow hospital.”

The team then descended back to the valley before driving back to base to sort equipment and do the necessary cleaning and checks in readiness for the next incident.

The rescue lasted 4¼ hours and involved 21 Keswick MRT volunteers.

Some articles the site thinks might be related:

  1. New Year’s Day incidents keep Lake District rescuers busy with four callouts
  2. Rescuers battle heavy Lake District traffic to reach injured gill scrambler
  3. Lake District rescuers forced to crawl in high winds to reach injured walker
  4. Rescuers: Lake District rockfall incident on Great End ‘could have been fatal’
  5. Woman rescued after injuring leg in fall into Lake District beck