Rescuers treat the injured man on Blencathra. Photo: Keswick MRT

Rescuers treat the injured man on Blencathra. Photo: Keswick MRT

A couple enjoying their second date together had an eventful outing in the Lake District.

An ascent of Sharp Edge on Blencathra ended with the man injuring himself in a fall while the woman became stuck on the ridge.

Keswick Mountain Rescue Team was called out about 3.20pm on Saturday to the incident.

The pair decided not to continue their traverse of Sharp Edge in slippery conditions. They decided to descend towards Scales Tarn, but the man slipped and fell part way down the slope.

A team spokesperson said: “Instinctively he put his arms out to try to avoid tumbling and ended up sliding fast and bumping down the steep rocky slope until he came to rest on a ledge some 60m further down. His partner was then stuck on the crag unable to go up or down.”

Rescuers made their way to the scene, approaching from below Mousthwaite Combe and requested the help of an air ambulance and Coastguard helicopter. “On their arrival weather conditions meant neither helicopter was able to assist directly with the rescue,” the spokesperson said.

“Team members were split into two parties with a hasty team going to assist the fallen man approaching from the tarn. The second party climbed up to and along Sharp Edge in order to get to and lower the woman to safety.

“Many thanks to the passer-by who had gone to the man’s assistance and given him extra clothing to wear while waiting for the rescue team. The man’s torch-light was very useful to locate the casualty.

“On arrival a group shelter was used to protect the casualty against the increasingly inclement weather. Heat blankets were used to keep the casualty warm while he was being assessed prior to evacuation.

Rescuers with the Coastguard helicopter and the injured man. Photo: Keswick MRT

Rescuers with the Coastguard helicopter and the injured man. Photo: Keswick MRT

“The man’s successful attempts to not tumble in order to avoid potentially far more serious injuries meant that all the impact had been on his lower back, ribs and leg. Strong analgesia was given before immobilising him in a vacuum mattress and placing him on a stretcher for a rope-assisted lower down the mountain.”

In the meantime, other team members had climbed along Sharp Edge, securing a safety line along the ridge. A belay was set up and a team member lowered to locate and secure the cragfast woman. The spokesperson said: “Once harnessed and helmeted, the woman and rescuer were lowered to easy ground at the foot of the crag above the tarn from where they were able to walk down.”

The man was flown to hospital in Glasgow hospital by the Coastguard helicopter, which had waited in a field at the base of the mountain.”

The team spokesperson added: “Apparently, despite the drama of their second date a third one has already been discussed.”

The rescues lasted just over five hours and involved 25 Keswick MRT volunteers.

Some articles the site thinks might be related:

  1. Injured Scafell walker winched from Broad Stand after 65ft tumble
  2. Watch as Coastguard crew winches ill walker from Ben Nevis ridge
  3. Cadair Idris walkers use grid reference plaque to guide rescuers after ankle injury
  4. Paraglider critically injured in crash on Tarn Crag, Great Langdale
  5. New Year’s Eve rescue of cragfast walker is team’s 22nd callout to Tryfan