Tryfan was the scene of one rescue. Photo: Alex Beamer

Tryfan was the scene of one rescue. Photo: Alex Beamer

A mountain rescue team had to deal with a series of incidents over the Easter period.

Ogwen Mountain Rescue Organisation also had to contend with a power cut at its base in Snowdonia on Saturday.

After rescuing two scramblers on Tryfan on Good Friday, team members were alerted the following day to a woman suffering a heart attack in a nearby town.

Spokesperson Chris Lloyd said: “OVMRO was called by North Wales Ambulance Trust, as they thought we might be able to get to a cardiac arrest in the town of Bethesda faster than they could get their ambulance.

“Four team members living locally, dashed there and the team Land Rover with AED [automated external defibrillator] and oxygen on board was deployed. Fortunately, the paramedic in his car got there at the same time as the local members.

“Unfortunately, everyone was too late and the 43-year-old woman died.”

On Easter Sunday, while a party of more than 30 air cadets was visiting its base, the team was called out to deal with a walker with a suspected broken ankle at Llyn Gerionydd above Llanrwst in the Conwy Valley.

Mr Lloyd said: “A man in his 70s was circumnavigating the lake and he slipped on a small rocky step in the forest on the far shore.

“The ambulance had been called and someone had requested 22 Squadron [from RAF Valley]. Team members attended to find that 22 Squadron had lifted the casualty from the pathside of the lake to the roadside of the lake to where he could be transported by OVMRO by road down to the Conwy valley where he was handed to the ambulance.”

While the team was dealing with the injured walker, it received a call to say a man had fallen on Tryfan.

Mr Lloyd said: “The solo 58-year-old man had descended Tryfan via the South Ridge to Bwlch Tryfan and was en route for Cwm Bochlwyd when he slipped in one of the many patches of deep wet snow.

“He banged his head and face, lost consciousness briefly and lost a few teeth. He tried to continue before walkers behind him caught up. As he was a bit wobbly, he was told to sit and await rescue.

“Three of us made it up to him to assist with loading him for the winchman. He was then flown to Ysbyty Gwynedd by 22 Squadron.

“Later that evening the team was called once more for Cwm Bochlwyd.

“A Scout group from Saffron Walden had been on Tryfan and were descending to the Ogwen valley. During the walk one of the leaders had slipped or tripped and twisted his ankle. However, he kept on going. But, the pain was getting a problem and he was slowing the group down.

“At about 7pm OVMRO was called. One Scout leader remained with the injured leader, whilst the other leaders escorted the Scouts from the mountain. Team members arrived and administered analgesics and suggested that the man could continue walking. This he did, albeit very slowly. By 9.30pm the rescue party was off the hill.”

Some articles the site thinks might be related:

  1. Exhausted walker rescued from fell as heatwave continues
  2. Collapsed walker rescued from Lakeland fell
  3. Kinder Scout walker rescued after injuring knee
  4. Climber rescued from Lake District crag after ropes jam during abseil
  5. Aberdyfi rescuer tells of team’s physical and mental challenges in two fatal incidents