The Edale team at work following the climber's fall at Birchen Edge

The Edale team at work following the climber's fall at Birchen Edge

A climber suffered serious head injuries in a fall from a crag.

Edale Mountain Rescue Team was called to treat the man – the last of four callouts in two days as outdoor enthusiasts took advantage of the prolonged spell of good weather.

The 19-year-old fell from a route on Birchen Edge near Baslow in the Peak District yesterday.

Team leader Ian Bunting said: “Helimed 54 – Derbyshire, Leicestershire and Rutland Air Ambulance – and an [East Midlands Ambulance Service] crew arrived first and started dealing with the climber.

“Due to the seriousness of his condition the team provided a rapid evacuation to the aircraft where the crew sedated the climber before flying him to the Queens Medical Centre in Nottingham.”

The Edale team’s busy weekend began mid-morning on Saturday when a woman was tripped by her dog while walking on Houndkirk Moor above Sheffield.

She banged her head and the Edale volunteers were called out to help, but stood down when an air ambulance went to the walker’s aid.

Later that afternoon the team was called to Burbage Edge near the Longshaw Estate to reports of a fallen climber.

Edale team members treat the fallen climber at Burbage

Edale team members treat the fallen climber at Burbage

Mr Bunting said: “Team members arriving on scene found a 25-year-old climber from Canada who had fallen approximately [6m] 20ft and had been unconscious for several minutes.

“After assessment and treatment by team members he was evacuated to an ambulance and taken to the Northern General Hospital in Sheffield.”

Early on Sunday afternoon, Edale MRT was called out to a mountain biker who had crashed on Hope Brinks on the slopes of Win Hill.

Team members responded quickly from their base in Hope to the incident. Mr Bunting said: “A 28-year-old male from Sheffield had been thrown over his handlebars which had knocked him unconscious as well as causing various other abrasions.

“He was immobilised and had his wounds treated before being sledged on a specialist stretcher down the hillside to the ambulance.”

The team leader added: “Due to the wet weather during April keeping visitors away from the area the team had a quiet month.

“However with the better weather over the last week or so our work load has increased resulting in seven incidents in the last seven days.”

Some articles the site thinks might be related:

  1. Two climbers treated after falls in busy weekend for rescue team
  2. Two rescues on Tryfan among busy weekend of callouts for Ogwen Valley team
  3. Four callouts and one award for Edale rescuers in busy bank holiday weekend
  4. Six callouts for new Edale mountain rescue recruits during testing weekend
  5. Seriously injured climber among four callouts in 45 minutes for rescuers