Tryfan, scene of Sunday's rescue. Photo: Alex Beamer

Tryfan, scene of Sunday's rescue. Photo: Alex Beamer

Two men had to be rescued after getting stuck on a Snowdonia mountain.

The pair from Manchester scrambled up the North Ridge of Tryfan on Sunday afternoon but took a wrong turn while coming down from the 917m (3,008ft) summit.

Ogwen Valley Mountain Rescue Organisation was alerted at 1.55pm after the two walkers called 999.

Chris Lloyd of the rescue team said: “On the summit they made a navigational error to try to descend to the Heather Terrace below the East Face. They soon became stuck on a small ledge.

“An advance party with rope was deployed.”

A Sea King helicopter from RAF Valley, which had been on a rescue mission on Snowdon, made the short flight to Tryfan and winched the two men to safety then flew them to the OVMRO base in the valley.

Mr Lloyd said: “Both seemed reasonably equipped and just made a navigational error – an easy thing to do on Tryfan.”

The previous day, the rescue team was called out to help a man who twisted his knee while attempting the Welsh 3,000s challenge.

The man was part of a group of 12 Scout leaders from Oxfordshire tackling the walk, which involves summiting north Wales’s 15 peaks of 3,000ft or more.

Mr Lloyd said the man’s knee injury proved too painful for him to carry on as the group descended Y Garn in changeable weather with heavy showers.

He said: “We deployed an advance party towards Llyn y Cŵn above the Devil’s Kitchen (Twll Du).

“A stretcher party was also in pursuit. RAF 22 Squadron was requested as initial information as to the location of the casualty was not precise.

“Fortunately, 22 Squadron [from RAF Valley] was able to winch the casualty aboard. The remaining 11 decided to postpone their Welsh 3000s challenge and walked down to Ogwen with team members.

“They were all well equipped. This was just one of those things.”

The rescue lasted more than six hours and ended about midnight.

Mr Lloyd added that the weekend had been quieter than the team expected. “We thought that there would be more incidents from people walking the Welsh 3000s mid-summer. Perhaps weather and football put them off.”

Some articles the site thinks might be related:

  1. Injured climber’s calls heard by walkers as he crawled from Snowdonia crag
  2. Three stuck on Glyder Fach after leader falls 66ft
  3. Three walkers winched to safety after getting stuck on Tryfan
  4. Injured and collapsed walkers airlifted from Kinder Scout
  5. Injured Snowdonia walker airlifted after Y Gribin slip