The walker fell from Striding Edge, a grade-one scramble route

The walker fell from Striding Edge, a grade-one scramble route

A man has died after falling from England’s third highest mountain.

The walker was on Helvellyn with his son when he fell from Striding Edge on Saturday, suffering fatal head injuries.

Patterdale Mountain Rescue Team was called out about 11.20am after reports a man had fallen from the mountain.

A team spokesperson said: “The Great North Air Ambulance, which was tasked to the rescue, was unable to get close to the scene due to low cloud.

“An RAF Sea King Helicopter, which was already on route to the Lake District from Northumberland for training, was immediately requested by the team and provided invaluable support throughout.

“Initially, the Sea King helicopter flew three team members and the air ambulance paramedic and doctor as high as possible on the mountain, limited only by low cloud and poor visibility.

“The helicopter, by this time low on fuel, returned to collect additional team members and a second doctor, and flew these to the same location. From there, the team made their way on foot up on to Striding Edge and down towards the casualty site while the helicopter returned to refuel.

“Once arriving on scene the team took over from the man’s son and passers-by who had climbed down the mountain and had been carrying out [cardio-pulmonary resuscitation]. The team’s doctor assessed the man and sadly he was pronounced dead on scene having sustained severe head injuries.”

Mike Blakey, Patterdale team leader said: “On behalf of the rescue services involved in the incident today, we would like to express our sincerest condolences to the family and friends of the man who tragically lost his life.

“Helvellyn is a very special place and the ridges make for a great mountain day. The man and his son were well equipped. Those people who were walking on the ridge at the time, and who risked their own safety to assist the man, should be commended. They did everything they could to help.

“The RAF Sea King helicopter from Boulmer, which assisted us today, will go out of service later this year. I would like to thank the Sea King crew for their support over the years and in particular today.

“Today’s accident occurred in low cloud and the Sea King crew did everything they could to get rescue members as near as possible and ensure that the man and his son were flown off the mountain as quickly as possible.

“Our thanks also go to the Great North Air Ambulance and Penrith Mountain Rescue Team for their assistance. In total there were approximately 30 rescue team members involved for five hours.”

The Patterdale team said it would like to remind anyone who needs help in the mountains to call 999 and ask for the police and mountain rescue.

Some articles the site thinks might be related:

  1. Blencathra walker rescued after getting stuck on Sharp Edge as heatwave ends
  2. Rescuers called out to injured and lost walkers on Bleaklow and Kinder
  3. Rescuers called to seriously injured paraglider on Hay Bluff
  4. Air ambulance saves mountain rescuers long carry after Greenup Edge slip
  5. Police appeal for sightings of missing Knoydart walker Ian Stalker