The RAF Sea King and mountain rescuers in action during the incident. Photo: Patterdale MRT

The RAF Sea King and mountain rescuers in action during the incident. Photo: Patterdale MRT

Police have named the man who died in a fall from Striding Edge on Helvellyn.

Stewart Armstrong of County Durham died after falling on Saturday despite the efforts of his son and other walkers to revive him.

The 59-year-old came off the ridge and suffered fatal head injuries in the 100m (330ft) fall.

An RAF Sea King helicopter joined the operation after low cloud prevented a Great North Air Ambulance helicopter reaching the scene.

The military aircraft crew flew team members and air ambulance doctor and paramedic high up on to the mountain and they made their way to where Mr Armstrong lay.

Despite running low on fuel, the helicopter crew managed to airlift another doctor and extra mountain rescue team members to the scene before heading off to refuel.

Mike Blakey, Patterdale team leader said: “On behalf of the rescue services involved in the incident, we would like to express our sincerest condolences to the family and friends of the man who tragically lost his life.

“Helvellyn is a very special place and the ridges make for a great mountain day. The man and his son were well equipped. Those people who were walking on the ridge at the time, and who risked their own safety to assist the man, should be commended. They did everything they could to help.

“The RAF Sea King helicopter from Boulmer, which assisted us today, will go out of service later this year. I would like to thank the Sea King crew for their support over the years and in particular today.

“[The] accident occurred in low cloud and the Sea King crew did everything they could to get rescue members as near as possible and ensure that the man and his son were flown off the mountain as quickly as possible.

“Our thanks also go to the Great North Air Ambulance and Penrith Mountain Rescue Team for their assistance. In total there were approximately 30 rescue team members involved for five hours.”

A 75-year-old walker died after falling more than 300ft from Striding Edge in April and three other people have perished on England’s third-highest mountain this year.

Climber John Chadwick, 68, of Gamblesby in the Eden Valley, died after falling from the headwall above Red Tarn in February. David Barrow, 63, of Widnes, Cheshire, fell 300m (1,000ft) after going to the aid of a companion who had fallen a short distance from Swirral Edge in January, and died from his injuries. The body of Michael Flanagan, 45, of London, was also found at the foot of the headwall after a massive search involving more than 60 mountain rescue team members in January.

A coroner ruled this week that Mr Barrow’s death was accidental.

Some articles the site thinks might be related:

  1. Helvellyn walker dies after fall from Striding Edge, despite son’s efforts to revive him
  2. Helvellyn walker dies in 650ft fall from Striding Edge
  3. Helvellyn walker dies in 300ft fall from Striding Edge
  4. Helvellyn walker injured in fall from Striding Edge
  5. Injured Helvellyn walker airlifted from mountain after fall from Striding Edge