The team's bank holiday begain with a callout to Whinlatter Forest

The team's bank holiday begain with a callout to Whinlatter Forest

A Lake District rescue team was kept busy over the bank holiday weekend with five callouts to walkers and mountain bikers.

The weekend kicked off for Keswick Mountain Rescue Team when a colleague from the Langdale Ambleside found an unconscious rider in Whinlatter Forest.

The 33-year-old man from Stockport was found near the beginning of the blue mountain-bike route.

A Keswick MRT spokesperson said: “The team sent out a Land Rover with five members, and another team member was in the area to assist.

“A second vehicle stood by, but as the Great North Air Ambulance was attending, this was stood down after 30 minutes. The casualty was treated for head, collar bone and arm injuries, and then transferred to the air ambulance for transport to the Cumberland Infirmary at Carlisle.”

The incident involved 10 Keswick MRT members and two from the Langdale Ambleside team. Staff from Whinlatter Forest also helped deal with the incident. The rescue lasted almost 1½ hours.

On Saturday, while dealing with a pair of walkers stuck on Sharp Edge, the team was alerted to another mountain biker who had come off his machine near Grange, in Borrowdale.

The 40-year-old, from Egremont in Cumbria, went over his handlebars on a section of the Allerdale Ramble knows as the Graveyard.

The Keswick MRT spokesperson said: “The second lead vehicle was quickly mobilised, and two others attended direct from Rosthwaite.

“The casualty had suffered serious injuries to his leg and chest, and as a consequence a request was made for the air ambulance to attend. The team doctor and another doctor passing stabilised his pain, and then he was splinted, and carried uphill for 200m to the point where the aircraft had been able to land. He was flown to Royal Preston Hospital for treatment.”

The Great North Air Ambulance said the biker was in a stable condition when he arrived at the major trauma centre at the hospital. The 2½-hour rescue involved eight volunteers from Keswick MRT.

Later that day, the team was called out again after a walker was late coming off the hill at the head of Far Easedale.

The man, who reported he was feeling faint, said he might need help to get off the fell, between High Raise and Greenup Edge. A team spokesperson said: “A small group went out to ensure he made it, and met him coming off the hill safely at Stonethwaite.” Six team members were involved in the two-hour operation.

On Monday, the Keswick team was called out about 3.20pm to Walla Crag where a woman, walking with her partner, injured her ankle and could not put any weight on her leg.

A Keswick MRT spokesperson said: “The team set off to Rakefoot with two vehicles full of personnel, and two members attended from their homes close-by. She was splinted at the scene, and then stretchered down to Rakefoot Farm, where she was met by an ambulance.

“This transferred her to the Cumberland Infirmary for treatment.” The 1½-hour rescue involved 12 volunteers from the team.

Keswick MRT has dealt with 79 incident so far this year.

Some articles the site thinks might be related:

  1. Four callouts and one award for Edale rescuers in busy bank holiday weekend
  2. Two rescues on Tryfan among busy weekend of callouts for Ogwen Valley team
  3. Walker suffering heart attack among six bank-holiday callouts for Ogwen team
  4. Keswick team rescues three walkers with leg injuries in one day
  5. Keswick team rescues man from Bassenthwaite Lake after pair’s drinking session