Rescuers sledge the injured walker up the side of Grindsbrook. Photo: Edale MRT

Rescuers sledge the injured walker up the side of Grindsbrook. Photo: Edale MRT

Two Peak District walkers were rescued in separate incidents in which they injured their legs.

Edale Mountain Rescue Team was called out to the first on Saturday when a woman slipped and suffered a suspected broken leg between Hope and Castleton.

Ed Proudfoot of the team said: “The team quickly responded but information on the exact whereabouts of the casualty was an issue. This however was quickly resolved and we were able to pinpoint their exact location.

“The team then treated the female casualty and carried her via mountain rescue stretcher to a waiting ambulance. Buxton team had also been tasked to the incident but were stood down, freeing them up for any further potential callouts.”

The Edale volunteers were called out again the following day to aid a walker on the edge of Kinder Scout, the Peak District’s highest hill, in Grindsbrook Clough.

Mr Proudfoot said: “The alert had been raised by a fellow walker upon reaching Edale village, as unfortunately there was no phone signal in the clough.

“Two team members were quickly able to respond to the call from our base in Hope and start the ascent up Grindsbrook. Due to the location and possible numbers needed, we also requested assistance from Buxton team.

“The casualty was located near the top of Grindsbrook at the intersection of the right and left gullies. She had slipped causing damage to her right leg and was unable to put any weight on it. More team members arrived and the lady was packaged on to our stretcher.

“Due to the location, the easiest extraction path was actually to carry up the steep sides of Grindsbrook and head south, up to Grindsbrook Knoll. This required team members to sledge the stretcher up the steep slope to the top edge path with the aid of a back rope for security on the steep ground.

“Once on the top we were able to use the established footpaths to head back to Grindsbrook Booth.”

Mr Proudfoot said that, although the call came in 2.40pm, the location and terrain meant the rescue was protracted with the last members coming off the hill at 6.15. “With the hour going back it was well and truly dark and turning colder, leaving us in no doubt as to the change of seasons despite the pleasant conditions earlier in the day,” he said.

He said team members then returned home to repack and recharge radios and torches.

Mr Proudfoot added: “At 116 incidents year to date, this is one of the busiest years for the team and we remain one of the busiest mountain rescue teams in the UK.”

Some articles the site thinks might be related:

  1. Injured Peak District climber among three callouts for Edale rescuers
  2. Peak District fellrunner rescued after breaking leg on Kinder Scout
  3. Injured Derwent Edge climber among five incidents for busy Edale rescuers
  4. Six callouts for Edale rescuers as bad weather sweeps Peak District
  5. Edale rescuers put at full stretch by four simultaneous Peak District incidents