Northumberland National Park Mountain Rescue Team was called out four times in four days.

Northumberland National Park Mountain Rescue Team was called out four times in four days.

A walker was rescued after falling 60ft into a gorge in the North Pennines.

The woman slipped off the footpath leading into Hareshaw Linn from Bellingham.

Northumbria Police alerted Northumberland National Park Mountain Rescue Team and North of Tyne Mountain Rescue Team to the incident shortly before 4pm on Sunday.

A spokesperson for the Northumberland National Park team said the experienced walker was initially reported to be uninjured, but was unable to get out of gorge.

“A local member of mountain rescue, who is also a community paramedic, was swiftly dispatched to assess the situation. A safe route out of the gorge was found and the female was ‘walked out’ to the footpath.

“On further assessment the walker was complaining of chest pains. As a precaution she was taken to Cramlington hospital. We hope she makes a swift and full recovery.

“This is the second incident this year in the Hareshaw Linn valley, and involved six mountain rescue volunteers for one hour and 20 minutes. A further eight members of mountain rescue were on standby in case they were required.”

The two teams were involved in four incidents in four days. On Saturday, the rescuers were called out to help search for a high-risk missing person in the Kielder area. The man’s car had been found in the car park at Kielder.

The spokesperson said: “A detailed search of the woodland involving MR personnel, two search and rescue dogs, a police dog handler and police officers was conducted in and around Kielder Castle.

“The National Police Air Support unit supported searchers on the ground by flying over the open areas.

“As the search was progressing, further information came to light which indicated the missing person was out of the area. The 16 mountain rescue volunteers were subsequently stood down after seven hours.”

On Monday, Northumbria Police and the North East Ambulance Service requested the help of mountain rescue to evacuate a critically injured male in a difficult-to-access location on the outskirts of Alnwick.

The six mountain rescue volunteers on their way to the incident were stood down after 25 minutes when an alternative evacuation route to the Great North Air Ambulance was found.

Team members were also involved in the major search for a missing grouse-beater on the moors near Warcop Fell on Tuesday. After searching for two hours without success on Monday his fellow beaters contacted the police and Kirkby Stephen Mountain Rescue Team was called out.

The spokesperson said: “As time progressed realising that there was a huge potential search area help was requested from neighbouring MRTs.

“The search escalated overnight and in the early hours to involve teams from the Lake District Search And Mountain Rescue Association, the whole of the North East Search and Rescue Association, an RAF mountain rescue team, eight search dogs from the Search And Rescue Dog Association England and the Lake District Mountain Rescue Search Dogs Association and a Coastguard helicopter.

“In all around 60 mountain rescue volunteers from 10 mountain rescue teams were involved, including eight members of NNPMRT and NOTMRT for nine hours and 45 minutes.

“Conditions for searchers overnight were horrendous, and even in the daylight of Tuesday low cloud over the hills hampered the search.

“As the weather improved and after a massive effort, the beater was found by a search group at 2.15pm on Tuesday. He was warmed up and returned to the road safe and well.”

Some articles the site thinks might be related:

  1. Woman and dogs seriously injured in fall at Hareshaw Linn waterfall near Bellingham
  2. Rescuers aid injured 84-year-old North Pennines walker on Maiden Way
  3. Injured teen rescued after falling into How Stean Gorge
  4. Injured kayaker airlifted from North Pennines river after six-hour rescue operation
  5. Rescuers in six-hour operation after walker injured in 65ft fall in Dartmoor gorge