Rescuers have continued the search for Mr Bialas. Photo: Peter CC-BY-SA-2.0

Rescuers have continued the search for Mr Bialas. Photo: Peter CC-BY-SA-2.0

Rescuers refused to go to the aid of a man who called for help after getting wet on Ben Nevis.

Lochaber Mountain Rescue Team said the man, who had made the ascent of Britain’s highest mountain without waterproofs, got caught in a shower and rang 999.

The team said the safest course of action for the walker would be to make his own way down the mountain as it was midsummer’s day, with plenty of daylight.

A Lochaber MRT spokesperson said: “Silly season is here, with a walker calling in this week saying he was on summit soaked through with no waterproofs.

“He was told in no uncertain terms that we would not be coming to his assistance; it was midsummer’s day and plenty of light and safety was to start walking down.

“He decided to stay in the summit shelter and was walked down by another climber in the morning.”

The previous day, a teenager was rescued after getting trapped while attempting a river crossing near Ben Nevis.

The boy was with a group taking part in a Duke of Edinburgh’s Award expedition when he got stuck in a gully near a waterfall.

Lochaber Mountain Rescue Team was alerted late on Wednesday afternoon and requested the help of Inverness Coastguard helicopter because of the length of time it would take its members to reach the youth.

The Lochaber MRT spokesperson said the helicopter crew’s speedy response probably saved the boy’s life.

A Maritime and Coastguard Agency spokesperson said: “The teenager, who was one of a group of approximately 15, had attempted to cross a river but had become stuck while taking an alternative route.

“One of the group did an awesome job and walked for over an hour to get a signal on their mobile phone to call for help.

“The Inverness Coastguard helicopter was sent to the scene. He was trapped in a precarious position in a steep gully near a fast-flowing waterfall.

“After some careful manoeuvring and several attempts on a 160ft winch line, paramedic winchman Scott Sharman was able to reach the young teenager and safely put the strops on him.”

Mr Sharman said: “He did well to hold on in difficult conditions for nearly two hours until we arrived.

“He seemed pretty relieved to be on dry ground when we got him out.

“’The teenager was taken to Belford Hospital with mild hypothermia but otherwise thankfully uninjured. We wish him a speedy recovery.”

Coastguard footage of the teenager’s rescue.

Lochaber MRT has continued the search in Observatory Gully for Marcin Bialas who fell through a cornice near the summit of Ben Nevis in January.

There are still snowfields with more than 10m depth in parts of the North Face, and there was a further snowfall during the past few days.

Rescuers managed to recover one of their drones which was lost during the winter searches and the machine is now working again after a change of battery.

Some articles the site thinks might be related:

  1. Rescuers suspend Ben Nevis missing walker search due to ‘very challenging’ conditions
  2. Rescuers find body of missing Ben Nevis walker Kyle Knox
  3. Warning as Lochaber rescuers find missing Ben Nevis walker in ‘blackspot’ corrie
  4. Early callout for rescuers after Three Peaks walker falls on Pen-y-ghent
  5. Second Ben Nevis walker dies in fall from Carn Mòr Dearg Arête