An Aberdyfi team member searches water debris near Llanidloes. Photo: Aberdyfi SRT

An Aberdyfi team member searches water debris near Llanidloes. Photo: Aberdyfi SRT

Volunteers from a Snowdonia rescue team were called out four times in five days, including to two incidents outside their area.

The first alert came on Tuesday, when a lone walker on the Aran ridge called for help after injuring his leg.

Aberdyfi Search and Rescue Team was called out shortly after 3pm.

A team spokesperson said: “The man, in his 50s, slipped near summit of Aran Fawddwy and strained a muscle in his leg. He had subsequently tried to make his own way off the mountain but, being unable to load bear on the leg, he quickly realised that he needed assistance.

“The team was called out with a plan to drive as high as possible and deploy from the top of the nearby forestry block. A request was also placed for assistance from Coastguard helicopter R936. As the team was assembling at the foot of the mountain, R936 was able to collect the casualty and downloaded him to a nearby landing site to be met by team personnel.

“The man was transported to meet his wife who was waiting to drive him onwards for hospital-based assessment and treatment.”

The following day, Brecon Mountain Rescue Team requested help from their Aberdyfi colleagues in the search for a high-risk missing person.

“The team was able to send water-rescue and bank-search teams to assist in the multi-agency operation based around Llanidloes,” the spokesperson said.

“Towards the end of a full day of searching, a fire and rescue service team detected the heat source of a recent campfire, and some astute piecing together of information and evidence led the operation control to conclude that this was associated with the missing man.

“Search parties, including volunteers from Aberdyfi, were quickly moved into the area, and the man was located alive and physically well shortly afterwards.”

The Aberdyfi team was called out again on Friday, shortly before 6.30pm, when a walker on Cadair Idris rang for help.

The man, in his 30s and from Devon, injured his ankle in a slip near the outflow of Llyn Cau.

The spokesperson said: “Being unable to walk on the injured limb the man was carried by team stretcher down the Minffordd path. The man was taken by friends to Ysbyty Gwynedd at Bangor for further assessment and treatment.”

The team’s final call involved them again travelling to the Llanidloes area at the request of Brecon MRT.

Volunteers were alerted about 9.30pm on Saturday when a high-risk woman was reported missing. Search teams stood down at 3.15am on Sunday without finding the missing person.

“This has probably been one of the busiest weeks in the recent history of the team,” volunteer Graham O’Hanlon said. “The water rescue group and those preparing for the upcoming casualty care exam also had training sessions in among these callouts, so it has been quite a full-on few days for our volunteers.

“A huge thanks is due to families and employers of the team, whose forbearance has allowed them the space and time to be able to fulfil these demands.”

Some articles the site thinks might be related:

  1. Rescuers’ new £65,000 vehicle replaces one written off in crash
  2. Major mountain search called off after Facebook update
  3. Walker winched from Cadair Idris after injuring knee
  4. Walker dies after collapsing on Snowdonia mountain
  5. Four teams in rescue of injured Snowdonia canyon walker in Maentwrog gorge