The walker died after he was airlifted to hospital by an RAF Sea King

The walker died after he was airlifted to hospital by an RAF Sea King

A walker has died after falling from a Snowdonia mountain.

The man was seen to fall from Senior’s Ridge on Glyder Fawr on Friday.

Ogwen Valley Mountain Rescue Organisation was alerted about 3pm by police that a walker had witnessed a man fall at least 30m (100ft) or more into Cwm Cneifion and that he was lying motionless.

Chris Lloyd of the team said: “As we had a number of team members at Oggie Base who had just finished snow clearance on the track up to the base, we were quick to deploy.

“We immediately despatched a hasty team of three members to Cwm Idwal.”

A short time earlier, the Ogwen Valley team had received a call for help from a couple of scramblers stuck on Crib Lem, a crag on the north-western slopes of Carnedd Dafydd.

Mr Lloyd said: “We also informed the Crib Lem couple that they would have to be patient as their place in the queue had moved down to second.

“We also requested the yellow Sea King helicopter of the RAF’s 22 Squadron. The weather was perfect and they were able to fly directly to the casualty in Cwm Cneifion.

“The winchman was lowered to the casualty and without delay the two were winched aboard for the speedy flight down to Ysbyty Gwynedd in Bangor.

“Here, a crash team was on alert to receive the injured climber. Sadly, he was pronounced dead shortly after his arrival.”

Mr Lloyd said the team returned to the rescue of the pair stuck on the Carneddau.

“Having tried to establish exactly where the stranded couple were on Crib Lem, we now focused our attention onto them and the kit that might be required to extricate them, the distance that it would have to be carried over deep snow and the limited hours of daylight,” he said.

“Fortunately, 22 Squadron had similar thoughts and having dropped the Cwm Cnefion casualty at the hospital, flew back up to look for the couple.

“Despite a few attempts, and with an accurate grid reference obtained through Sarloc [a specialised mountain rescue smartphone application], the casualties could not be sighted.

“It was thought that mountain rescue troops could be flown to the top of Carnedd Dafydd and could then descend to the top of the crag.

“Our telephone conversation with the two, confirmed that they had seen the helicopter. So we gave the helicopter crew the mobile telephone number. They flew back over the crag and were guided in over the telephone.

“The cold couple were brought down to Oggie Base for a warm up.”

He said the pair, from Bangor lacked sufficient winter kit. “They did have these slip-on walking spikes/ or studs for their lightweight boots, and walking poles.

“But they were lightly dressed and really needed crampons and ice-axes for these conditions. The route described in their summer guide book is a much greater challenge in full winter conditions.”

Some articles the site thinks might be related:

  1. Man dies in 300ft fall from Glyder Fawr in Snowdonia
  2. Two lost Glyder Fawr walkers rescued in seven-hour night operation
  3. Injured walker airlifted to hospital after Tryfan fall
  4. Snowdon walker airlifted after being injured in avalanche
  5. Yorkshire Dales walker dies after being injured by cattle