The Ogwen Valley team members in action during the rescue on Saturday. Photo: Craig Jowitt, OVMRO trainee OVMRO

The Ogwen Valley team members in action during the rescue on Saturday. Photo: Craig Jowitt, OVMRO trainee OVMRO

A mountain rescuer said there may need to be an investigation into why so many incidents happen on a Snowdonia mountain.

Chris Lloyd of the Ogwen Valley Mountain Rescue Organisation said a large number of the team’s callouts are to Tryfan, and particularly to people on scrambling routes on the North Ridge.

He made the statement after a man had to be airlifted to hospital after tumbling more than 80ft down the mountain yesterday.

The team was called out for the 109th time this year, of which almost a third of the incidents have been on Tryfan. Of the 33 callouts to the peak, 14 have been on the North Ridge.

The 58-year-old man, who was in a group of four from Lancashire, was scrambling on steep ground on Saturday when he fell.

Mr Lloyd said the valley had been filled with low-level mists earlier in the day but by mid-morning, these patches had cleared to reveal a beautiful sunny and still day.

“Shortly after traversing left beneath Milestone Buttress, the party took a direct line up the ridge.

“Here the ground can be steep, loose and vegetated. Unfortunately, the man took a tumbling fall of about 25m.

“He had banged the back of his head and was complaining of lower back pain. His colleagues made the 999 call shortly after 11am. After a telephone conversation between the team leader and the informant, it was decided to request a helicopter from 22 Squadron, RAF Valley.

“As two team trainees were being assessed on their final hill day for entry into OVMRO as full members, there were a number of members already at base.

“A hasty party was dispatched to locate the casualty group and other team members made their way to Oggie Base to form a stretcher party. Shortly after the hasty party had reached the casualty and carried out an assessment, the Sea King was hovering overhead.

“After lowering the winchman, the helicopter landed at Oggie base to save fuel whilst treatment of the casualty took place. After about 30 minutes or so, the helicopter was able to winch the casualty from this steep and loose ground and fly him to hospital in Bangor.”

Mr Lloyd said team members then helped the rest of the group off the mountain to the team’s base for a debrief, tea and cakes.

“Perhaps it is time for the team to investigate as to why so many incidents happen in this area.”

Mr Lloyd said the trainees passed as full members after 12 to 18 months training in numerous skills.

He added that the day ended with three team members attending Guilford Mountaineering Club’s Christmas meet and dinner.

“After a good feed, the GMC presented the OVMRO a most generous donation.

“Guildford Mountaineering Club members have been supporting OVMRO for a number of years and we thank them for their fund raising efforts.”

Some articles the site thinks might be related:

  1. Injured man lowered 500m down Tryfan gully before being airlifted to hospital
  2. New Year’s Eve rescue of cragfast walker is team’s 22nd callout to Tryfan
  3. Walker airlifted from Tryfan after injuring himself in fall
  4. Climber and scrambler airlifted from Tryfan in separate incidents
  5. Walker airlifted after injuring leg on Tryfan descent