Team members stretcher the injured Base Brown walker to the air ambulance. Photo: Keswick MRT

Team members stretcher the injured Base Brown walker to the air ambulance. Photo: Keswick MRT

A family caught out in the dark on the Lake District fells was one of four incidents Keswick Mountain Rescue Team dealt with during a busy Easter weekend.

The team was called out about 10.20pm on Saturday when the group called for help from the path between Sty Head and Seathwaite.

A team spokesperson said: “This tasking originally went to Wasdale MRT, but was passed to Keswick after it became clear that it was in our area.

“A family group became benighted beyond the ‘1,000 ft Boulder’ after a slow descent from the hill. A small group of team members, accompanied by search dog Rona, went up and fetched them down.”

Six Keswick MRT volunteers took part in the two-hour rescue.

Earlier in the day, the team was called out after a 24-year-old man was blown by a sudden gust into a gully while walking on Base Brown. He suffered ankle and wrist injuries in the fall.

The team spokesperson said: “The team immediately dispatched a lead Land Rover, and three local team members in the Rosthwaite area deployed direct to Seathwaite farm.

“A second vehicle brought further team members to assist. The casualty was located about 100m above the path that runs through Gillercombe. The North West Air Ambulance, which was just finishing a job in the South of the county, offered to assist and, despite gusty winds, managed to land some distance away on the ground towards Honister.

“The casualty was then carried uphill, loaded aboard, and flown to Furness General Hospital for treatment. Team members were recovered from Honister Pass, which was now the nearest road access point.”

The incident involved 16 team members and lasted almost 2½ hours.

While Keswick MRT was on the hill dealing with the injured walker, it was alerted to an incident on Derwent Water.

A man canoeing on the lake came out of his boat 500m offshore and was unable to get back in it. The spokesperson said: “The team contacted Derwentwater Marina, who were able to send a rescue boat. The canoeist was recovered, and handed over to the ambulance service in a mildly hypothermic state.”

The Keswick team was in action again on Easter Sunday when a woman slipped and broke her ankle while walking with her partner in Fairy Glen near Stonethwaite.

The team spokesperson said: “The team set off to Stonethwaite with two vehicles full of personnel, and a local team member went direct to the scene.

“The casualty was treated at the scene, and then carried 100m to the team Land Rover, which then drove her to the roadhead. She was taken to the Cumberland Infirmary by her companion in their own car.”

The 1½-hour incident involved 14 team volunteers.

Some articles the site thinks might be related:

  1. Severely ill wild-camper among six callouts for busy Keswick rescue team
  2. Three callouts for Keswick rescuers as icy conditions catch out Lakeland hillgoers
  3. Wasdale team’s seven ‘avoidable’ callouts in 12 hours as rain lashes fells
  4. Two callouts in two hours for Keswick rescuers as storm blows walkers over
  5. Busy spell continues with two callouts for Keswick rescuers