The incident happened on Red Screes above the Kirkstone Pass. Photo: Bob Smith/grough

The incident happened on Red Screes above the Kirkstone Pass. Photo: Bob Smith/grough

Two men who prompted a callout in which a mountain rescue volunteer was seriously injured have been handed a £200 penalty by police.

The 47-year-old from Leicester and his companion from Liverpool received the fixed penalties for breaking coronavirus regulations.

The pair had travelled to camp on Red Screes in the Lake District but the Leicester man began feeling unwell and called for help.

A 60-year-old member of Patterdale Mountain Rescue Team fell about 150m while on his way to help the pair, after being alerted shortly before 12.30am on Saturday. He suffered serious injuries, reported to include spinal damage and facial trauma. He was airlifted from the mountain by a Coastguard helicopter and flown to hospital in Preston, where he remains in a serious but stable condition.

The camper who was suffering chest pains was taken by ambulance to the Cumberland Infirmary in Carlisle and was subsequently discharged the same day.

Assistant Chief Constable Andrew Slattery of Cumbria police, chair of the Cumbria Resilience Forum, said: “The thoughts of everybody at Cumbria Constabulary and agencies of the Cumbria Resilience Forum are with the rescuer who has been injured and his family. We are all hoping he makes a full recovery.

“The volunteers of our mountain rescue teams really are the fourth emergency service in Cumbria and their selflessness, dedication and professional training is called upon by hundreds of people every year.

“Mountain rescuers have been at the forefront of the county’s response to the Covid crisis, just as they are whenever the county faces civil emergencies or natural disaster. I have been in touch with the mountain rescue leaders throughout the weekend and we will do everything we can to support their members through this difficult time.

“Mountain rescue is inherently dangerous but accidents like this are thankfully very rare as a result of the preparation and training put in by every team.

“Sadly, those risks cannot be eliminated altogether. Accidents can happen to any of us who use the mountains and the men who called for help on this occasion could have had no idea of what was to happen.

“However, the health protection regulations make it an offence to travel together and stay away from home overnight in these circumstances and to camp overnight on a mountain top in winter conditions is a serious undertaking. The men concerned have been issued with fixed penalty notices of £200 which is the only legal penalty available in these circumstances.

“We would appeal to everyone to stay at home as much as possible, exercise locally, and stay well within the limits of their own experience and equipment when exercising in the outdoors.

“It is vital that anybody venturing onto the fells in winter takes note of the weather forecasts and mountain conditions before setting off. Now is not a time to be taking unnecessary risks as our ambulance service and hospitals are still under extreme pressure from high numbers of Covid patients.”

  • A GoFundMe page has been set up with a target of raising £10,000 for the injured mountain rescuer.

Some articles the site thinks might be related:

  1. Rescuer suffers life-changing injuries in 500ft fall during Lakeland callout
  2. Police issue penalties to Glen Coe walkers after rescuer injured in incident
  3. Appeal for injured rescuer Chris Lewis tops £½m target in less than 36 hours
  4. North Yorkshire Police issue 61 weekend fines as Covid-19 lockdown rules flouted
  5. Lakeland rescuers concerned as callouts rise 72 per cent, many to tier-three residents